Meet Dr. Cardano
Our Director – Dr. Lawrence Cardano, Au.D., FAAA Doctor of Audiology
Dr. Lawrence Cardano, Au.D. is a frequent speaker on the topics of hearing loss, and healthy aging. He is the author of the book “Better Hearing With or Without Hearing Aids: Your Guide to Solving Your Hearing Problems” and co-author of “Stop Living Your Life Disconnected: How Treating Hearing Loss Can Change Your Life, Maintain Your Independence, and May Reduce Your Risk of Dementia”. He has also been the editor of “Long Island Sound”, a monthly newsletter on a wide range of topics related to hearing loss and to hearing loss treatment.
As the director of Hearing Center of Long Island, Dr. Cardano has helped thousands of people with hearing loss enjoy better quality of life and cognitive function with the treatment of their hearing loss. Under his direction, the staff at Hearing Center of Long Island has adopted five core values that they are continually trained and evaluated based on and which patients are encouraged to evaluate them on:
- Continuous improvement of the patient experience and treatment – taking advantage of the best of latest technology, techniques, and research.
- Providing the best possible results for hearing clarity and resulting cognitive function– not just providing “some help” and allowing hearing clarity problems that should be solved to continue.
- Educating patients and the public about the true effects of hearing loss and the treatment of hearing loss so they can make informed decisions. Education at Hearing Center of Long Island begins with the first phone call and continues throughout the treatment process.
- Providing a patient experience worth talking about by treating patients like family.
- Earning patients’ trust – not expecting it by default. This commitment includes everything from having the most knowledgeable staff to guaranteeing the whole treatment process.
Dr. Cardano’s interest in hearing and its effect on quality of life began with his interest in musical performance as a teenager. An avid guitarist, Dr. Cardano has studied the effects of music on the brain including the advantages research has shown in understanding conversation in background noise for people with musical training vs. those without musical training.
Dr. Cardano’s community service includes his work with the Lions Lend and Ear Foundation. The Lions Lend and Ear Foundation is a project of the Nassau and Suffolk County districts of Lions Clubs International. It was developed from a project Dr. Cardano started with the Valley Stream Lions Club. Through this program Dr. Cardano volunteers his time and expertise to help hearing impaired individuals who could not otherwise afford the treatment they need to enjoy the improved quality of life and cognitive function that comes with properly treated hearing loss — at no cost to the patient.
Because of Dr. Cardano’s commitment to helping individuals avoid the documented effects of hearing loss on cognitive function, and because untreated hearing loss is the number one modifiable risk factor for dementia, under his leadership Hearing Center of Long Island has become an official Memory Screening center for the Alzheimer’s Foundation of America.
Dr. Cardano is Board Certified in Audiology. He earned his Master’s degree in audiology at Columbia University and his Doctor of Audiology degree from the University of Florida. He is certified by the American Speech-Language-Hearing Association and is a fellow of the American Academy of Audiology.
- Bachelor’s Degree in Speech & Hearing Science – SUNY Buffalo
- Master’s Degree in Audiology – Columbia University
- Doctor of Audiology – University of Florida
- Board-Certified by the American Board of Audiology
- Fellow of the American Academy of Audiology
- Member of the American Speech and Hearing Association
- Member of the Academy of Doctors of Audiology
- Board of Directors – The Hearing Care Group
- Affiliated with Franklin Hospital Medical Center in Valley Stream, NY
- Author of Long Island Sound newsletter
- Director of Hearing Center of Long Island
- Frequent speaker on a variety of hearing loss-related topics
As one of the premier hearing care centers in Valley Stream, NY, our team at Long Island Hearing Center also provides award-winning hearing services to patients from Lynbrook, East Rockaway, Oceanside, Franklin Square, Malverne, Rockville Centre, Hewlett, West Hempstead Lawrence, Woodmere & Elmont, NY.